- Airdrie Mayor Peter Brown has never seen anything like the hailstorm that pounded the city late Thursday afternoon.Golf-ball sized hail rained down on the city for about 15 minutes, damaging cars, gardens and siding just before 5 p.m.
- The amount of rain also overwhelmed the city’s storm sewers.
- “It came out of nowhere,” Brown said, adding that he counted about 16 dings in his car’s windshield from the hail.
- Environment Canada meteorologist Chris Wielki said storms stretched from Rocky Mountain House down toward Airdrie on Thursday afternoon.
- He said there were reports of golf-ball sized hail in Red Deer and southwest of Rocky Mountain House.
- Airdrie resident Jolene Valencia said the storm came on quickly and lasted much longer than normal.
- “Our typical storms are sudden but very short-lived,” she said.
- “Nothing like today.”
Écobosse était sur place.